Saturday, April 01, 2017

My year living with Candice Bergen



Picture I took of Candice Bergen in our backyard

Time for this week's Friday Questions.

Fanboy69 gets us started.

How did you break into movies after writing for television?

Dumb luck. Steven Spielberg saw an episode of THE JEFFERSONS my partner and I wrote and thought it was the best written half-hour he had ever seen. Needless to say, we were SHOCKED. He arranged a meeting and asked if we had any ideas for a movie. I had always wanted to write something based on an uncle of mine who pretty much led a double life. Stevie liked the idea so David and I created Indiana Jones and wrote RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. That led to VOLUNTEERS which led to MANNEQUIN.

Lyn B. wants to know:

Of all the actresses you have known, who’s your favorite?

Professionally? I’d have to say Nancy Travis. Personally – and this was before my marriage – I had a fling with Candice Bergen. We lived together for about a year. This was in the late ‘60s/early ‘70s. What can I say? Both our fathers were ventriloquists and we both loved sex.

Anonymous asks (note: please leave your name):

I’ve written three scripts that I’m really proud of. I feel they’re good enough that I can submit them to agents. I suppose I should include a cover letter. What I don't know is what should I say in the cover letter?

Yes, you definitely should include a cover letter. And you need to grab his attention. I would say this:

Dear (whoever),

I’m seeking representation and am submitting three scripts. But I’ll be honest. I’m not yet sold on you. As you’ll see once you’ve read my material (and by the way, you have 48 hours), I will be your meal ticket. As such, I don’t like the idea of competing with other clients for your time. I require 100% commitment and attention. This might mean you have to let a few clients go. So be it. Talent trumps loyalty. I look forward to your campaign to try to sign me.

He'll remember you, that's for sure!  Best of luck.  

And finally, from Georgia Peach:

I bought your book, WHERE THE HELL AM I? TRIPS I HAVE SURVIVED and I literally can’t stop laughing. OMG!   If I get a heart attack it’s your fault. My question is: are you going to be in Atlanta any time soon to have a book signing?

Thanks, Georgia for the nice words. To be honest, I don’t really need to go out on a book tour. I’ve sold 250,000 copies on the internet just this month. Happy to say, it’s the biggest selling travel humor book in history. Meanwhile, I’m currently number three on Amazon’s Best-Selling Non-Fiction list and number four on the New York Times. I’ve been approached to go on Oprah, which is HUGE since she's no longer on, so I’m concentrating on that for the moment. There is, unbelievably, a Ken Levine fan club and they’ve begun emailing update newsletters three times weekly. So sign up for that and you’ll be the first to know when I finally do go out on a book tour.

What’s your question? Have a nice weekend and a great April 1st.

24 comments :

B.A. said...

Ha! I guessed from headline on...
Does anybody else remember THE APRIL FOOLS with Jack Lemon?

Mike Barer said...

You didn't get me because I had already read your book.

Gary said...

Those questions and answers were so interesting, I rolled over in bed and showed them to Joey Heatherton and Valerie Bertinelli.

Peter said...

That was brilliant, Ken. Although I'd have suggested not including real details in with the fake in your April Fools, because readers won't realize you really did write Raiders.

A genuine Friday question:
I was reading up on which shows have been renewed and which have been cancelled. I'm curious to know are these decisions made by a committee of executives or is there one person at each network/channel who has the authority to renew or cancel? And if I may be allowed a supplementary question, have you heard any funny stories of crazy lengths people went to in order to try and persuade a network to reverse a decision to cancel?

Steve Bailey said...

No, you got it wrong. My partner and I created Indiana Jones for Spielberg. We've been embroiled in a plagiarism lawsuit with Spielberg for the past 35 years.

Earl Boebert said...

Very good, Ken. I read your blog over breakfast and you had me until the coffee kicked in.

blinky said...

I will ask you the same question Pete Carroll asked Jim Harbaugh: What's your deal?

Charles H Bryan said...

Ken, I have to say that your AprIL Fools' Day cannot place higher than second. A website that is a very popular destination for adults only video entertainment had a screen today that said video selections would be automatically shared on facebook. There was a button to opt out but clicking it did nothing. (Finally clicking the X opened up a screen that said "April Fools!")

At least that's what heard. I wouldn't possibly have direct knowledge.

Andrew said...

I hope your fan club is bigger than Frasier's (Ep. 6.01).

Also, I wasn't sure if "Arc" was a deliberate misspelling, or was an inexcusable typo. Is there a rabbi I can report you to?

andy215 said...

Took me a second. But I'm with you now😏😉

Ron Rettig said...

In 1971 while living with Candice (or as confidants say "Candy") did you scriptwriter "Fools' Parade?

mrdj said...

During your baseball stint did you ever get to interview Sidd Finch?

Anonymous said...

You had me until the part about the Ken Levine fan club.

Happy day!

Dennis Johnson said...

In honor of today, during your baseball career did you ever get the chance to interview Sidd Finch?

CRL said...

Geez, you think all that hard work you put in with Candice Bergen would have gotten you and David a couple of Murphy Browns....

DBenson said...

Friday Question:
Ken L, what's the frequency?

Jeff G. said...

Raiders of the Lost Arc is my all-time favorite movie about geometry.

Breadbaker said...

You know, it's kind of lame to repeat the same joke that's on the Almost Perfect showrunners' commentary on the Blu-Ray special double disk.

VP81955 said...

Here's an interview with the screenwriter for "Gable and Lombard" (a rather poor biopic from 1976), where he notes that Candice Bergen was among the candidates to portray Carole. (In the '30s, long before Candy was born, Lombard appeared on several "Chase & Sanborn" radio shows with her father and Charlie McCarthy.)

http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/321033.html

Barry Traylor said...

Seeing the picture of Candice Bergen reminds of a favorite film of mine that she was in, THE WIND AND THE LION.

Daniel said...

I'm writing this on April 2, so I'll ask a serous question. Ken, have you read the essay Theresa Rebeck's wrote about getting fired as the showrunner of Smash? (It was published on the Entertainment Weekly site.) I'd be curious to hear your reaction.

Liggie said...

Speaking of, when you were filming an episode on April 1, or knew that it would air on April 1, did you stage any April Fools jokes for the cast and audience? Like how Drew Carey does each year on The Price Is Right, and even once on his sitcom?

Phil said...

Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa................

ROFL..... Knew you will drag Spielberg in your Fools day post.

Great Post Ken..... Wish you had more details to share about Candice.... No Natalie???

dgwphotography said...

This pretty good. Not Sidd Finch worthy, but not bad.